Last updated on March 19th, 2023
We could find just dozens of different explanations for this, but it’s undeniable: white rice is, by far, the most consumed ingredient in the world.
And we could easily find the reasons why the many benefits of this noble ingredient are evident.
That’s out of the question, and the whole world consumes rice in different ways.
Hungry for the Best Vegan Products? Discover Our Top Picks You Can't Resist! 🥬
So, here’s a little bit more info and a little recipe on the side about that ingredient you always have in stock, which you use almost on a daily basis, but probably don’t know much about it.
But one thing is clear, white rice is versatile and flexible, and you’ll find recipes for main dishes, side ones, desserts, and even drinks.
The Benefits of White Rice:
Depending on what you’re making and how you cook the rice, you’ll need to check two things: the water to rice ratio and the type of rice you need.
For example, Jasmine rice is the best dessert option because of its high starch, but white rice is the perfect option for dishes such as paella or risotto.
A frequent question about rice has to do with how healthy it is. And the truth is that even though a cup of white rice has over 600 calories, rice can be turned into a highly beneficial ingredient when combined with the right elements.
Of course, it’s not the same as having rice with a heavy sauce as in a fresh Mediterranean salad.
Rice alone is a high source of vitamins, proteins, and minerals. And regardless of the fact that it can be considered a carbohydrate, it’s a good type of them.
Remember, the secret is both quality and quantity. And in this sense, rice is our best friend; small as it is, it is quite filling. The benefits are right in front of you. Now just upgrade your recipes!
How to Cook White Rice?
This might sound quite odd, but the stove is not the only way of cooking rice. We all know the traditional way, one cup of white rice in two cups of boiling water and high heat for fifteen minutes will get your rice nice and ready to eat.
But that’s not the only way anymore. You can also cook rice in your microwave! The microwave will save you some time, and the result is just the same.
The water to rice ratio is the same, but when using the microwave, you should consider how much rice you cook per batch. To play it safe, you’re recommended to cook just one cup of rice per batch.
Now, how should microwave cooking work? First, make sure the container you use is microwave-safe. Heat the rice for no longer than five minutes at maximum capacity. After that, take the heat to medium and cook for ten to fifteen minutes.
Note: even though this is a general suggestion, make sure you check the cooking instructions at the back of the packages.
What to Cook with Extra-Long White Rice?
This type of rice is perfect for your lunch or dinner dishes as it’s fluffy, but it stays separate, contrary to Jasmine rice which is more of a starchy kind of rice, perfect for pudding-texture desserts.
Here you have an easy recipe for you to follow for lunch and dessert based on white rice.
If you’re a vegetarian, this is perfect for you. If you’re not, you’ll find an extra ingredient for you to add to the lunch recipe at the end.
- ● 1 cup of white rice.
- ● Extra-virgin olive oil.
- ● Salt.
- ● Pepper.
- ● Oregano.
- ● Chia seeds.
- ● 1 cup of fresh cherry tomatoes.
- ● Fresh basil.
- ● Feta cheese.
- Cook a cup of white rice either on the stove or in the microwave. Once done, set it aside and let it cool. You can do these a few hours in advance.
- Wash and halve the cherry tomatoes.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes.
- Chop the basil.
- Take a bowl and pour all the vegetables in. Add the rice and mix.
- Season the salad with salt, pepper, and oregano to taste. Feel free to add anything you like.
- Top it all with some nice extra-virgin olive oil and pour the chia seeds all over. Mix and integrate everything.
- For an extra refreshing salad, get it ready and take it to the fridge for half an hour before eating.
Extra tip: Mediterranean cuisine is based not only on vegetables but also on seafood. If you’re not a vegetarian, add a can of tuna to it and enjoy a fresh but protein-full meal!
- ● 6 cups of milk.
- ● ½ cup of white sugar.
- ● ½ teaspoon of salt.
- ● ½ cup of white rice.
- ● 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- Take a saucepan and pour five cups of milk. Add half a cup of sugar and a pinch of salt. Heat the mixture over medium heat and stir continuously until it boils.
- Once it boils, take the medium to simmer and let it cook for fifty minutes. From time to time, give the mix a good stir.
- Once it gets a pudding consistency, turn the heat off and add the vanilla extract. Mix everything together.
- Let the saucepan cool down and take it to the fridge for an hour.
- Take it out and add half a cup of milk you set aside before.
Note: If you like it, top everything with some cinnamon.
Does white rice make your belly fat?
Consuming more than 2 cups of white rice per day can lead to weight gain & obesity (belly fat) in the long run.
Is white rice good for weight loss?
However, some people have found that white rice can help with weight loss, as it is a good source of dietary fiber and B vitamins.