This delicious Arroz Chaufa is one of Peru’s most popular dishes, which is characterized by the blending of ingredients of Chinese and Peruvian origin.
In fact, this rice is a fusion of these two gastronomic styles. Arroz chaufa is also said to be the Peruvian’s version of Chinese fried rice.
Indeed, the name of the dish comes straight from Cantonese language, in which chaufan literally means “fried rice”, the fundamental Chinese food.
In this post, we would like to offer some appetizing, delicious and easy-to-prepare recipes for you to please the palate of your loved ones.
You will also know some peculiarities of this dish. If you want to know more about it, you may visit https://carolinarice.com/recipes/arroz-chaufa/.
Chicken Arroz Chaufa
This is a succulent fried rice prepared with a mixture of several ingredients like rice, chicken, green and red onions, soy sauce, and scrambled eggs, among others.
It is easy to cook, so you will not have so much trouble, and it just requires 15 mins for preparation and 30 mins for cooking. And the result will definitely satisfy the palate of the most demanding and hungriest of people.
Have at hand the following components for the preparation:
- 2 cups uncooked rice.
- 1 chicken breast diced.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil for frying.
- 4 eggs.
- 2 teaspoons garlic freshly minced.
- 2 tablespoons ginger freshly grated.
- ½ cup red bell pepper roughly chopped.
- ½ cup soy sauce.
- ¼ cup sesame oil.
- 1 cup spring onions minced.
- Pinch of salt.
These easy directions will help cooking this delicious chicken arroz chaufa:
- First beat the eggs together and fry them with a bit of oil making an omelet.
- Cut the omelet in small squares and set aside.
- Boil the rice until cooked and let it cool.
- Mince the spring onions and red bell peppers.
- Cut up the chicken into cubes.
- In a large saucepan, stir-fry the cubes of chicken, seasoned with 1 tablespoon of grated ginger.
- As soon as the chicken is golden brown, add the minced spring onion, red bell pepper, and omelet squares.
- Add the other tablespoon of grated ginger.
- Then add the cooked rice, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- Sauté the soy sauce and the other ingredients at a high heat and mix them all through the rice for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
Beef steak Arroz Chaufa
You can also use meat with arroz chaufa and prepare a tasty dish. For that use the following ingredients:
Also Read: White Rice and Its Benefits
For this version of the recipe, use these ingredients:
- 4 cups of pre-cooked white rice
- 1 beef steak
- 2 eggs
- Half a bell pepper
- 1 Peruvian yellow chili bell pepper for an extra touch of magic and spiciness
- 2 stalks of chives
- 1 piece of ginger (about 2 cm)
- A pinch of ajinomoto
- Soy sauce
- Vegetable oil
To cook this recipe follow these directions:
- White rice must be previously cooked.
- Chop everything: the chicken and the meat (or the proteins you use) into medium-sized cubes or strips.
- Dice the bell pepper, chili, chives and the ginger. The Last one can also be grated.
- Cook the eggs in an omelet and set aside.
- Heat a large deep frying pan.
- Add oil or lard and heat until it starts to smoke.
- At this time, add the pepper, chili if you use it, ginger, chives and any other vegetable you want.
- Also add the meat.
- Stir constantly.
- Add a pinch of ajinomoto and salt.
- When the meat is cooked, which will happen in no more than 3-4 minutes, add the previously chopped egg omelet and a couple of spoonfuls of soy sauce.
- Add the white rice and mix well for a couple of minutes more.
- Remove from the heat and serve your chaufa rice hot.
- Let each diner add more soy sauce if they feel like it.
For better results of this recipe, consider these tips:
- Since this is a rapid recipe to prepare, get all your veggies already minced and cut up into cubes.
- To save time, use prepackaged already diced peppers, garlic, and onion.
- To get a nice color of the chaufa rice, use concentrated soy sauce.
- Do not add fresh ginger to the soy sauce mixture. It is better to cook it for the rest of the veggies.
- Put sesame oil, pinches of cumin and of sugar, ginger and soy sauce in a small bowl. Mix them all so they impregnate each other and enhance their flavor.
- For a more intense flavor, sprinkle 4 or 5 drops of sesame or olive oil.
- Reserve the juice from the oil that the meat drips, with this we can make a dressing for the rice.
- Before preparing the meat, brown the ginger cut into large strips, this to flavor the dressing.
- To season the chaufa rice we use a pinch of ajinomoto, which harmonizes and makes the fried rice tastier.
About Arroz Chaufa
During the 19th century, Peruvian gastronomy was strongly influenced by China due to the enormous number of Asian immigrants who moved to this South American country.
As it always happens with those who move from one place to another, they also brought their customs and food with them.
With time, the cuisines of both countries began to merge, giving rise to new delicacies that were no longer Chinese, they were local, they were Peruvian.
Thus, dishes such as lomo saltado, salted noodles and this chaufa rice recipe are today part of the heritage of the first Chinese immigrants in Peru.
The enormous popularity of arroz chaufa among Peruvians has led to its successful adaptation in different regions of the country.
From the use of local ingredients, original and tasty recipes have been created, such as seafood chaufa, quinoa or Amazonian, making known the culinary treasures of each region.
Are Arroz Chaufa vegan?
Traditional Arroz Chaufa is not vegan. But it can be vegan.
Is Arroz Chaufa healthy?
Arroz Chaufa is a healthy way to eat, due to its high levels of fiber and antioxidants.